Friday, September 15, 2006

Japanese Haiku and Western Haiku - Can They Get Along?














You know, I've read many poems by the Japanese haiku masters. Some I like, but most I don't. Why? Because I just can't completely relate to their aesthetic. Sure, nature is nature throughout the world. It's just their way of writing about it that doesn't do it for me. For instance, look at this haiku poem by the Japanese haiku master Basho:

Don't imitate me;
it's as boring
as the two halves of a melon.

Now this haiku isn't bad. And I'm not saying that Japanese haiku is bad. It's just different. And this difference has to do with culture. Perhaps if I lived in Japan for 10 years, I'd understand the many hidden meaning in many of their haiku poet's work. In fact, the Japanese have hundreds of words to describe the nuance in seasonal change. We here in the west don't. We're more straightforward and in my mind, even more zen like. For example, look at this poem by Canadian haiku poet Bruce Ross:

winter stillness...
on a high branch the crow
opens and closes its beak

Notice how direct this is. And simple too! There are no hidden meanings or allusions to something other than what this haiku portrays which is a crow performing a simple act of moving its beak. The real beauty of this particular poem is the contrast between "winter stillness" and lines 2 and 3. Using juxtaposition, we get a sense of "nothing special" happening here. Yet it is exactly this sense of nothing special that produces that beautiful Zen-like effect!

Japanese haiku also have this quality and I suppose it's just a matter of taste. The west has learned much from the Japanese haiku poet and has developed its own unique way of expression.

Comments:
I think part of our "dislike" for some Japanese haiku is due the challenges of the translation between to two languages. I therefore started studying the Japanese language a few months back and have begun to appreciate more Japanese haiku in the original.
 
True. Language is always a barrier, but so is culture. Even though language is a key to getting "inside" the culture, if you've been living in the west all your life, bending to another aesthetic or even appreciating it can be difficult, i.e., rap music etc.
 
Yes, I agree. I've therefore also been studying the Japanese culture and have luckily befriended a friend from Japan who has only been here only 12 months.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]