Saturday, October 07, 2006

Trying to Write Haiku

Many of my contemporary haiku poets like to create what is known as an "aha" moment for their readers. That is, they want you to guess a little at their meaning. And while I've read some of these haiku and enjoyed them, they're not my cup of tea.

I'm more interested in what I like to call an "ah" moment. I don't want to surprise the reader or make them think. After all, it's just a 3 line poem. I want to give readers a snapshot... a picture if you will of a place and let their imaginations take over from there. For instance, I've recently written this haiku:

Hot afternoon --
a hippo slowly
submerges

There's nothing "aha" about this little poem. No. It's just there for you to see. When I read this I imagine a scene. I can see this great beast go underwater and it gives me pleasure. And why is it going underwater? Because it's hot out! Simple and Zen like.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]