Friday, November 17, 2006

The Haiku Sensibility - What's Happened To It?

















You know, I look around at my fellow haiku poets websites and I see a lot of haiku that really misses the point of haiku. What I mean is the subject of many contemporary haiku focuses on people and events. But I'm missing something. I'm missing the wabi/sabi aspect that I feel is important to the art form.

For example, take a look at this haiku by one of my favorite poets Bruce Ross:

spring wind --
a sparrow pecks
in the dust

What I like about this haiku is its simplicity. It doesn't try to be sophisticated and its subject matter is also simple. Plus it has that undefinable quality - that air of indifference that allows you to see the impermanence of things.

Comments:
hello this is my first time here n i like your blog, i would like to link, could u pl send me a 10 line profile of yourself and yr work, i need that to put under description under yr url, if u check out my site and open up at links u will understand what i mean, post yr profile plus a few haiku (5) to my site at http://alwaysmorebeyond.multiply.com
 
Whatever bubbles will burst
McMansion for sale.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]